Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Off Week

There are three off weekends through out the Sprint Cup season. There's nothing wrong with that as far as I can see. A break is always nice. I think it's good for the drivers, the crew, and also the fans. It means you can plan a Sunday event without having to miss a race that weekend.

My only question is why all three of these weekends come in the first half of the season. Now I can see why you wouldn't want one in the last ten weeks of the chase for the cup, that makes sense. But wouldn't it be a good idea for the sport if they used one of those off weekends right before the last ten? I can think of a few reasons why it would.

1. NASCAR is always looking for ways to gain suspense. A week before our "playoff" would do that; much like the Superbowl has a week or two break before they play.

2. It would be a good time for drivers, crews, and race teams to catch their breath before the final run at the cup. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a week to regroup.

3. And finally, and most importantly I think, it gives you a rain out buffer. I'm not 100% against finishing a race on Monday, but what if it's raining Monday? I think it just makes sense to have a weekend set aside for those "just in case" scenarios. This would be the perfect weekend to do it. 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't have to use it, but it's always good to have a plan B.

2 comments:

  1. Well well well. Don't you just have all the answers? I actually don't disagree with anything you said. I just like to imagine you getting worked up as you started to read my comments. So seeing as I've got your attention now I will finish. What a waste of your time huh? Good....good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you don't disagree, I'm always right. You've known that for years.

    ReplyDelete