Monday, April 20, 2009

How long does it take?

Saturday Mark Martin won his first race since 2005. I've always been a Martin fan. I've never really liked Rousch Racing, but there's something about Mark Martin that you just can't dislike. Very few racers have it and I wonder how long it takes to get it. What does it take to be the driver that other drivers root for? Does it have to do with age? Is it only from showing respect on the track to other drivers? Is it the fact that he's finished 2nd in the points four times and has never won a championship? There are a ton of reasons that could explain this but I don't think any of them are right but none of them are wrong.

There are a select few drivers that are loved by many and hated by virtually none. Jimmie Johnson isn't one, Dale Jr isn't one, Jeff Gordon isn't one, and even the late Dale Sr. isn't one. These drivers are loved by many, but are probably hated by many more. They win too much, or they're too arrogant, or fans can't stand them for reasons they can't explain. But talk about Mark Martin and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who says anything bad about him.

My feeling is that you add up his on track respect, with his talent, his desire to win, his age, and the lack of a championship and that's how you get 20 some odd competitors to come to victory lane and shake your hand once you've won a race. It's what makes your former boss, and biggest owner of your competition, come and give you a hug and say "nice job". You don't see that very often. I kind of doubt that Rick Hendrick was hugging Kyle Busch after his first win with JGR and I doubt Teresa sent Junior a gift basket after his first win with Hendrick's.

Mark Martin has done a lot for the sport of stock car racing but he's done it quietly and in a way that you almost forget about him, and that's how he seems to like it. He likes being questioned about being too old to compete and being put in a car that has struggled some over the last few years. All those "obstacles" will make it that much sweeter when he finishes in the top five at the end of the year. And while it's a crap shoot at this point, don't be surprised if we have a silver haired Champion for 2009 because Mark Martin has what it takes to make that very thing happen, and he knows it.

10 comments:

  1. Mark Martin is not liked by everyone. I can't stand the guy. There are other people too if you listen at the tracks during driver introductions. He should have hung it up 4 or 5 years ago when he said he was going to. I'll be really surprised if he wins anything else this year. Boo on Mark Martin. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While writing this I actually knew you would have negative words about Mark Martin, but then I realized that your opinion is based on reasons only feasible to you. I don't know if you had a touchy uncle that looked like Mark, but you really need to let it go. Everyone else thinks he's swell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good career. He has. I'm just saying I don't like the guy. Go ahead and follow the rest of the herd, you kool aid drinking sheep. Cheer for him all you want. Again, not everyone "thinks he's swell" (when did we time warp back to 1955?). I think there are young talented drivers that deserve the ride he has a lot more than he does. He's a waste of time and a waste of a good ride. Again I say, BOO on Mark Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell me one "young talented driver" that has a better chance to put that car at the top than Mark Martin? And don't throw out the name of someone who's already in a good ride, because that doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off your new nickname is Kads because it's so true and it makes me laugh. Secondly, I will do better than naming one driver that deserves the ride more than Martin. How about McDowell, Gilliland, Kvapil, Smith, Allmendinger, or possibly even Almirola or Leffler? I'm not talking about wins this year. I'm talking about putting a quality young driver in a great ride for the future as well as now. I know the plan for next year with the buck toothed nerd kid. That's great, but it should have been done awhile ago (not necessarily with Keslo). What makes you think Martin deserves it now? He's had over 25 years at the top level of Nascar to do it and it hasn't happened. He needs to realize he's past his prime and head to Shady Acres Retirement Home like he said he was going to and give one of the above named young drivers a chance. BOO MARK MARTIN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting that you think you know more and know better than Rick Hendrick himself who recruited Martin to drive this car. It's not like Mark was begging for a ride, but when the top team in Nascar offers you a ride and one more chance at a championship you don't turn it down. And while you named one or two possibly worthy drivers there's not one of them there that has the talent, experience, or the fan base of Mark Martin. So far your reasoning is less than impressive for your Mark Martin hate. Boo Rusty Shackleford.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's interesting is the fact that I am obviously not allowed to have my own opinion and that you obviously must be right since I disagree with you. Typical Kads behavior. My reasoning is sound, you just choose not to see it. I never claimed to know more than Hendrick. My claim is that Martin is an old waste of a ride that has had more years in the series than 99% of the drivers in Nascar; has never won a championship when he had the equipment to do it; and sucks. That is all I'm saying. If you don't like it, I really don't care. My concerns are far greater than Kads approval or disapproval of my opinion. Good day to you lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By saying Martin doesn't belong in that car you're saying that you DO know more than Rick Hendrick. Nice Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right. I claimed all along that I should be running Hendrick Motorsports, not Rick. I can't believe I didn't see it this whole time. What was I thinking? Thanks for pointing out to me what I meant in something I wrote. That's a pretty amazing talent you have. Now politely go *!#* yourself you asshat. Infinite boo on Mark Martin and Kads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking a wager may be in order. 29 vs the 5 for say, $20?

    ReplyDelete